Tuesday 29 January 2019

Have you ever noticed.. there are no positive song titles with Monday in them...


I don't like Monday's
Manic Monday
Monday, Monday, Can't trust that day

Well, I wish there was a positive Monday song, cos I would've been singing it this Monday!  Apart from the small matter of misbehaving internet at the accommodation which meant I couldn't write my blog!

I spent Monday at First Step Right which is the Pre and Primary school we support near Cato Ridge in KwaZulu Natal.  There are 187 pupils on the role and they range from the pre-schoolers to a small class at Grade 5.  The school is located on the property and buildings of the neighbouring Frey's Food Brands, supplying meat products to the foodservice industry.
 The continued support of this company is essential to the life of the school and on Monday I was pleased to meet with the CEO and HR Manager to discuss the ongoing partnership between Frey's and First Step Right.  As a funder of First Step Right we at GAGA are committed to ensuring that the pupils at the school receive the best possible education and pastoral care, this is one of the main reasons we endeavour to make regular monitoring visits to the projects we support. 

The children of FSR are delightful and I spent much of Monday, one on one working with one of the Grade 5 pupils on his literacy exercises.  His determination and concentration was admirable and I really enjoyed spending time with him (and reminding myself about the story of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!). 

A school like this faces many challenges, not just funding, although that is an important factor.  FSR is fortunate to have a corporation like Frey's supporting it, and there are other supporters too; a company called City Logistics has recently confirmed that they will provide some much needed sports equipment.  Our own GAGA supporters have also contributed tremendously to this school, both with the ongoing funding which helps to pay salaries and provide learning materials and equipment but also with practical help, like the redevelopment of the kitchen worksurfaces and cupboards and the creation of a learning vegetable garden. 

We feel that there is immense potential to continue to support FSR and see it develop and thrive - watch our Face Book and Web Site for further plans as they materialise.

After school I went into Hillcrest to meet with Debbie who helps us "on the ground" in South Africa.  Debbie met us at the airport last Friday but I hadn't seen her since, before the appointed meeting time, I popped into Pick & Pay to top up my SA phone airtime and there was a lady in the queue ahead of me.  As I spoke to request the required airtime she turned around and said "Hello, we are meeting up in a minute" ha ha - I hadn't recognised her at all!  Luckily, I was wearing my GAGA t-shirt so she recognised me immediately (nothing to do with the blight accent I'm sure!).
Debbie has been working with GAGA since we started and she is an invaluable advisor and "ear to the ground" when we are back in the UK fundraising and raising awareness.  Debbie is also a vital "go-between" for our Sangobeg scholars and she helps us to understand their needs and ensures they have what they need to be successful in their studies.

Debbie gave me a great insight into life in South Africa and she also suggested a super farmers market which I will go to on Saturday to see if I can acquire some interesting items to add to our merchandising range.  We are hoping to be allocated a stall at the Stratford River Festival in July and, in addition to our popular bead necklaces and animals, I am keen to see if there are any other items that may be popular for the stall.  Here's a selection of what we have purchased so far.... don't you just love those chickens???  And of course, elephants are always so popular!
 
A quick drive back to the accommodation at PheZulu and some admin for the day and I was done! Oh, and I have just remembered.. The Happy Mondays.... I'm not the only one who had a good Monday!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment