Tuesday 29 January 2019

Yay! The Sun is Shining Again!

Image result for vervet monkeyAfter so many days of drizzle, torrential rain and fog it was a delight to see that the sun had got his hat on this morning!  As I made my coffee, I noticed a small vervet monkey sitting on the roof of a nearby property warming up his tummy in the early morning sun!  Not this guy - my camera isn't that good - but I thought you'd like to see a cute monkey picture nonetheless!
I had two visits planned today, firstly a stop at the 1000 Hills Community Helpers, you may remember that Tuesday is baby clinic day and I called in to drop off the wonderful donations of knitted items and baby vests and sleepsuits that have been given to us. 
This robust baby boy is doing so well and his Mum also works at 1000 Hills Community Helpers

Here is Nurse Teddy with another smashing baby boy!

This young Mum is doing a fantastic job with her little girl, she was delighted to receive one of the beautiful crocheted blankets we were given by one of our supporters. 

This Gogo (Grandma) is helping her daughter to cope with her new baby, we were delighted to offer her some additional babygrows today!

This young Mum is also the happy recipient of a lovely new blanket for her gorgeous baby, she is currently studying Business Administration and balancing the needs of her newborn and her older son.

Dawn and her team at 1000 Hills Community Helpers were delighted with the donations, they are always in need of good quality clothing items and the knitted items (whilst not needed today in 31 degrees) will be very welcome as the winter approaches.  The lovely school dresses we have been given will be distributed amongst the pupils of 1000 Hills Community Helpers own pre-school and the larger sizes will be put aside for children in need who may come alone or with their parents to seek support from this wonderful organisation.  I joined Sister Faith in the baby clinic where I was privileged to sit in on the consultations with the Mum's and Gogo's who are looking after babies from newborn to four months.
Sister Faith monitors the weight of the babies, gives advice on feeding (whether this is supporting the mother who chooses to breastfeed, advising on the correct make up of formula or assess whether the baby is receiving solids) and also assess the general health and well being of the baby. In the short time I was in clinic this morning there was a baby with scabies, one with thrush in the mouth and two baby boys with undescended testicles. These, amongst other common ailments, are critical to have diagnosed and treated early on.  Women are encouraged to attend the clinic regularly to ensure that their babies have the best possible chance to thrive.

After an hour or so observing the clinic I took a browse in the craft shop and I have bought some lovely protea print items to trial for our merchandising.  I'm back at 1000 Hills Community Helpers tomorrow for the Meals on Wheels ….

My backie was blocked in as I went to leave and the guys who keep the mini buses and meals on wheels vans spick and span were insistent that they should give the backie a good wash before I could leave!  Lucky me, I got to enjoy the scenery and beautifully kept gardens!





Next stop was back to First Step Right, when I arrived the pupils were lining up to return to class after first break.  I did a swift circuit of the school, saying hello to everyone and then sat in with Grade R for storytime.  I was so pleased to find the book of Bear's Blue Boat which I remember reading to my own sons.  We read it through three times with the children joining in on the colours and the rhyming of the last page. 

Then I took Gael, who runs the school, to PMB to do some shopping for the school, we purchased some wall charts (days of the week, seasons and months of the year etc) as well as basic stationery supplies (pencils, erasers etc) and also some more cups and bowls for the kitchen.  We had some fun rolling the heavy trolley down the ramp and we were chatting so much on the return journey that we forgot to buy the compost for the veggie patch!  That has to be a job for tomorrow now!

When I returned to PheZulu, I was desperate for a cooling shower and something to eat!  When I went to the kitchen to prepare an omelette, Magda, the manager told me that earlier a cheeky monkey had slipped under the door leading to the kitchen and snatched two eggs from the tray on top of the microwave!  So today's blog starts and ends with some "Monkey Business"

No comments:

Post a Comment