Thursday 24 January 2019

Salakahle from Sarah...

Well, it's my last evening here in South Africa and it's been yet another inspiring week.

When I return to South Africa I think that there can't possibly be more stories to learn, more people to meet and more friends to make, but each time I come I'm reminded of what a wonderful country this is and that it is full of heart-warming stories, hope and people doing the best they can to make their communities an oasis of peace and love. 

As Claire has described, we've visited LETCEE, Hillcrest AIDS Centre, First Step Right, 1000 Hills Community Helpers, the Gogo Lunch club and HOLAH, as well as catching up with some of our Sangobeg Scholars and as always, we've been reminded of the great need for these organisations and the work that they are doing. 

Without your support, we would not be able to provide crucial funding to these organisations doing life-changing work. 

Thursday....

Thursdays are always lovely days anyway aren't they? The day before the end of the week when you can look back at how that week has gone, as well as deciding what still needs to be done. 
Today was one of those Thursdays. Claire headed off to 1000 Hills to donate some dressings (thanks to Bidford Pharmacy, as always!). I had a bit of a lie in to try and recover from my man-flu which I've had the past few days. We then headed off to Victoria Street Market to meet up with Carlos who makes many of the beaded items we sell at the craft fairs in the UK. We're now very well stocked up - so don't fear... If you were just looking for a beaded giraffe, or that beaded chicken that was missing in your life, look no further!! 

We finished the day at HOLAH, visiting Kim and Leanne. It's so great to hear that their year ahead is going to be fantastic!! (It's something we've heard throughout the trip, and I hope it's a theme for everyone we support, and for all of you, that '2019 is going to be a good year'). HOLAH is a crisis care home for abandoned and orphaned babies; they believe that every child has a right to family, and work hard to find 'forever families' for all the children in their care. This year they hope, they will move in to their 'forever home', a property to be purchased so that they have a stable place to live, and somewhere in which they can grow and develop as an organisation and as a place of safety for children. We wish them all the luck in the world. 

South Africa is and always will be, for me, a place where I have found nothing but friendship, warmth and love. To all the friends I have made along the way whilst being at GAGA, both in the UK and in South Africa... what a joy and an honour it has been getting to know you all. I feel nothing but privileged to have gotten to know you all a little, and to hear of the lives you have touched. Thank you for welcoming me with open arms. I will follow your news and updates with interest and love and will be back in South Africa one day. 


Until then.... Salakahle abangane. Stay well my friends. 

A fundamental concern for others in our individual and community lives would go a long way in making the world the better place we so passionately dreamt of. 
Nelson Mandela 

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, it has been a privilege to work alongside you this past month and I know I have very big shoes to fill. I hope I will do you proud and continue to offer the support, love and kindness you have shown and are clearly so deeply loved for.

    ReplyDelete